Foods that cannot be cleaned off braces may lead to discoloration and decay of your teeth. Even though your braces and wires are metal, they are fragile and are usually damaged by eating the wrong foods, thus taking us longer to finish your treatment.
DIET & THINGS TO AVOID
- Gum sugarless or otherwise
- Sticky food – Caramel, Caramel Apple, Toffee, Licorice, Gummy Bear, Now & Later, Starburst, Sugar Daddy, Sugar Baby, Tootsie Roll
- Hard Food – Apple, Carrot (uncooked), Nuts, Popcorn, Hard Candy, Corn on the Cob, Bagel, Pizza Crust, Jerky, Hard Pretzel, Ice, Dortitos
EAT MUCH LESS
- Candy, Ice Cream, Cookies, Cake, Pie, Food with Sugar
DRINK MUCH LESS
- Soda pop, Drinks with Sugar
AVOID CHEWING ON PENS, PENCILS & FINGERNAILS
PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS
You may be able to solve many braces problems temporarily by yourself until you schedule a repair appointment with our office. These problems need not cause delay in your treatment.
- Loose Band or Bracket – If band or bracket is still attached to wire, leave in place. If uncomfortable, place wax on it. If it comes off completely, place it in Zip-Lock bag and bring it in to your repair appointment.
- Loose Wire – Try to place wire back in place with tweezers. It that is not possible, clip wire with fingernail clipper behind last tooth ti which it is securely fastened. If any discomfort, place wax on it.
- Poking Wire – Try to push sticking wire down with spoon or eraser. If not possible, place wax on it.
- Lost tie wire or elastic tie – Notify is at next appointment.
- Soreness – Use warm salt water rinses and/or Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Loose Appliance – If appliance is sticking or poking, place wax on it.
If you are unable to handle a problem on your own, please call us soon as possible.