Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens; in fact, the American Association of Orthodontics sites that 1 in 5 orthodontic patient is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite (malocclusion) causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Crowded or spaced apart teeth possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal pain or pressure in the jaw caused by crooked teeth
- To have a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. Today’s orthodontic treatment options, however, offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces provided by OoLi Orthodontics include:
There actually are few differences between adult and child orthodontics; however, one major difference is that in children and teens the jawbones are still developing. In adults, these bones have stopped growing. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) —Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth —Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt creating a bad bite and the possibility of getting gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen —Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
OoLi Orthodontics also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatment, and that your needs are met with understanding, respect, and full commitment from Dr. Park & the OoLi Team.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact OoLi to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.